RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s attorney general said on Tuesday $107 billion has been recovered so far in a major crackdown on high-level corruption and that 56 suspects were still being investigated.
Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb said he has completed inquiries into 381 high-profile corruption suspects and decided to keep 56 in custody and free the rest.
Those released include individuals proven not guilty but also others who had agreed on financial settlements with the government after admitting corruption charges, he said.
Total settlements with the suspects had topped 400 billion riyals ($107 billion) in various forms of assets handed over that included property, securities, and cash.
In November, the authorities launched an unprecedented anti-graft swoop that netted hundreds of members of the extended royal family, top businessmen and officials.