SHARE

The Army of Zimbabwe took over the headquarters of the state TV channel/broadcaster ZBC and halt people to access to offices of Zimbabwe government, but the army says “this is not a military take over”.

An Army spokesman claimed, President Robert Mugabe, leader of the ruling political party, Zanu-PF party, is safe.

What has happened so far:

– President Mugabe sacked Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, an ally of the army chief, for showing “traits of disloyalty” on November 8.

– The military would act if purges against former war liberation fighters did not cease, said Army commander, Constantino Chiwenga on Monday, November 13.

– Mugabe has betrayed the revolution in the country, said War veterans, who fought alongside Mugabe during the 1970s liberation struggle.

– The ongoing expulsions were a strong indication that President Mugabe was acting in his own and his wife’s interests not in country’s interests, told Victor Matemadanda, secretary-general of the Zimbabwe National War Veterans Association, to Al Jazeera news.

– On 14 November, Tuesday, the youth wing of ZANU-PF party said, it was ready to die for its president Mugabe, after the military’s threat to intervene.

– On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, the army of Zimbabwe had seized the state TV and blocked off access to the offices of government.

– In a televised address early on Wednesday morning, military spokesperson, Major General SB Moyo, said the army was seeking to “pacify a degenerating, social, and economic situation”, and denied a coup. “We are only targeting criminals around [Mugabe] and are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country, in order to bring them to justice,” he said.