LAHORE: A day before ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif is appearing before an accountability court in Islamabad in corruption and money laundering cases, the National Accountability Bureau, Lahore, on Monday launched another investigation into illegal allotment of plots against him.
The decision to open the decades-old case against Mr Sharif was taken in a meeting of NAB here on Monday which was presided over by Director General Shahzad Salim.
“The NAB has re-launched investigation for allotting Lahore Development Authority plots to 13 people in violation of the rules and the laid-down procedure in 1990s,” a NAB official told Dawn.
He said the bureau had summoned all beneficiaries for Sept 29 and notices were served on them through Lahore police chief Amin Wains.
The inquiry [into illegal allotment of plots] had been pending with NAB for over a decade.
“The investigation into the case was initiated in 2000s but later it was not pursued owing to some pressure,” a source said, adding the file was ‘lost’ in the [NAB] record for years till the bureau got a direction from the top authorities to re-investigate the case.