The Nigerian government on Sunday confirmed that 110 girls were missing after a Boko Haram school attack in the northeast, following days of silence on the children’s fate.

“The Federal Government has confirmed that 110 students of the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, are so far unaccounted for after insurgents believed to be from a faction of Boko Haram invaded their school on Monday”, the information ministry said in a statement.

Read Also: Three fake EOBI officers detained during FIA raid in Gujranwala

The statement came after authorities were unable to account for 110 of the school’s 906 students, the ministry said.

The kidnapping has raised questions about the military’s repeated claims that the Islamist militants are on the verge of defeat, after nearly nine years of bitter fighting.

Read More