Suicide bomber of Taliban kills two US troops in Afghanistan

Two US soldiers were killed in Afghanistan s restive southern province of Kandahar Wednesday when a Taliban suicide bomber rammed a vehicle filled with explosives into a convoy of foreign forces.

“Two US service members were killed in action in Kandahar, Afghanistan when their convoy came under attack,” Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said.

“US Forces Afghanistan will provide additional information as it becomes available,” he added.

The assault is the latest blow to NATO forces, who ended their more than a decade-long combat mission in Afghanistan at the end of 2014.

Since then Afghan troops and police, beset by soaring casualties, have struggled to beat back the resurgent Taliban while facing the growing menace of the Islamic State group.

Afghan officials said the attack, which was quickly claimed by the Taliban in a text message to AFP, happened around noon (0730 GMT) in the Daman area of Kandahar.

NATO confirmed in a statement that a convoy was attacked and did “cause casualties” but did not immediately give further details.

At least one witness reported seeing three bodies pulled from one of the vehicles.

Mohammad Azim, a shopkeeper, told AFP: “I saw a foreign forces vehicle on fire after the attack. A while later helicopters landed in the area, they took three bodies out of the vehicle and flew away. There were three armored vehicles in the convoy.”

The Taliban have a heavy presence in poppy-growing Kandahar province and have launched repeated attacks there.

They have been ramping up their campaign against beleaguered government forces, underscoring rising insecurity in the war-torn country during the summer fighting season, when the warmer weather tends to spur an increase in militant attacks.

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *