Two teenagers killed on LoC by Indian shelling on early Monday morning

Two teenagers were killed and another was injured in Azad Jammu and Kashmir when Indian troops resorted to ‘unprovoked’ shelling across the Line of Control (LoC) early Monday morning, a senior official said.

The casualties occurred in Tatta Pani sector of southern Kotli district where shelling began after 5:45am, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Chaudhry Zulqarnain Sarfraz said. “Indian troops started [shelling] without any provocation, and also targeted the civilian populations,” the SSP said. He added that Asad, 18, died after being hit by the splinters of a shell in Bhabra village whereas Waqar, 18, was critically injured and later succumbed to his injuries at DHQ Kotli.

Another teenager, Shabaz, 17, was critically injured in Hillan village, he added.

“The shelling has stopped now, but who knows when they [Indians] will resume it again,” the SSP said.

A Tatta Pani-based journalist said that Indian shelling was ‘intense’ but Pakistani troops ‘effectively’ responded to it.

“In fact, Indian guns fell silent after a befitting response from our troops,” said Sardar Mohammad Javed.

An elderly resident of AJK was killed in cross-LoC firing last week.

Shabbir Khan, in his late sixties, was doing some household work in the courtyard of his house when Indian troops hit him with a burst of fire.

Since January, India has committed more than 400 ceasefire violations along the LoC, leaving several civilians dead or wounded and surpassing last year’s total of 382, officials say.

The deaths have pushed the death toll in Indian shelling to 11 since January, while over 65 have sustained injuries.

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *